Wednesday 12 November 2014

Exam Prep

Quizlet Activities

CONDITIONALS...

There are four kinds:
  • The Zero Conditional:
  • This conditional is used when the result will always happen.
    (if + present simple, ... present simple)
    If you heat water to 100 degrees, it boils.
  • The First Conditional:
  • It's used to talk about things which might happen in the future. Of course, we can't know what will happen in the future, but this describes possible things, which could easily come true.
    (if + present simple, ... will + infinitive)
    If it rains tomorrow, we'll go to the cinema.
  • The Second Conditional:
  • 1), we can use it to talk about things in the future that are probably not going to be true. Maybe I'm imagining some dream for example.
  •  e.g If I met the Queen of England, I would say hello.
  • 2), we can use it to talk about something in the present which is impossible, because it's not true. e.g - If I had his number, I would call him. (I don't have his number now, so it's impossible for me to call him).
  • If I were you, I wouldn't go out with that man
  • How is this different from the first conditional?
    This kind of conditional sentence is different from the first conditional because this is a lot more unlikely.
    (if + past simple, ... would + infinitive)
    If I had a lot of money, I would travel around the world.
  • The Third Conditional
  • It talks about the past. It's used to describe a situation that didn't happen, and to imagine the result of this situation
  • (if + past perfect, ... would + have + past participle)
    If I had gone to bed early, I would have caught the train.




No comments:

Post a Comment